Wednesday, February 3, 2016

2.3

I have a devotional I have toyed with writing for a couple of years now and today I knocked out three days of the twenty-eight I have planned.

Weeeeeell I say "planned."

So I have the general theme and idea I want to convey...but it could easily be done in much less than twenty-eight days. I thought about mapping out a topic for each day ahead of time. This was two years ago. This is what happened:

Picture it. Sunday School. 2014. We're discussing the trial of Jesus. I got distracted by a stray thought about Barabbas. Then enters an idea for a bible study surrounding Barabbas.

Next I sit down to write out my idea.

I write out my idea.

It isn't going to be enough for a bible study.

Who am I to write a bible study, anyway? I should get a degree in theology or something before I even attempt to write one.

Well...maybe I could write a devotional instead.

OOOH I'll write a devotional that has guided journaling. Journaling rocks.

I wrote out Day One.

I got someone to agree to write the introduction.

I wrote out Day Two.

I erased Day Two.

I had another idea from a stray thought about Moses.

I decided to go a different direction with my devotional...but I wanted to keep the title.

I wrote out Day Two.

I wrote out Day Three.

I erased Day Three.

I decided to put it on the back burner until I had some clarity.

........Two years go by...

I finally decided what direction to go with it.

I erase Days two and three...

I erase all of it and start from scratch.

I write three days in one go.

I'm digging this new direction! It involves minimal planning and very casual writing and, unlike the previous attempt, I actually like how this is turning out. Keep your eye out for Releasing Barabbas: 28 Days of Prayer & Study on the Redeeming Love of Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment