See that blog title? This is why my page is called "Almost Daily." I knew I'd miss days and I didn't want that to stop me from keepin' on keepin' on.
We've gotten to about 3/4 of the way moved into our new home. We hosted a game night tonight and it felt good to have the place put together and cleaned up enough to have friends over. I brewed a pot of hot coffee - which turned into two pots. We rolled some dice, bantered, quipped, quoted, and laughed ourselves to tears. I love our game nights. . .
Because I missed two nights I'll try and make this post a bit longer than the others.
I'm staring at the bookshelf across from my bed, thinking about how it's organized, and it reminded me of something. I participated in a Facebook status game where you listed the top ten books that have influenced you or left an impression on you or something of the sort. It was incredibly hard for me to come up with this list. I've read so many books and I can't even begin to think of them all let alone categorize them into least to most influential! Yet I can, out of the physical copies of books that I own, organize them on a shelf and choose which ones I will store and which ones I will proudly display.
The top shelf is lined with bibles of various translations, Schindler's List, A few Christian commentary type books (Think CS Lewis), bible studies, and scripture reference books.
The second shelf holds two fantasy series then our classics (Les Mis, Pride and Prejudice, etc).
The bottom shelf is almost exclusively David Eddings (My favorite fantasy author) plus the LotR series, then my poetry book collection.
This really bugs me. Since we're downsizing Dennis and I had to whittle this down from one tall shelf and one short shelf to ONLY one short shelf. That's a big downsize for book lovers. BIG downsize. It threw off my hard earned and glorious flow of organization. Used to the classic novels flowed perfectly into my poetry books with The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe as the transition piece. The bottom shelf was dictionary, thesaurus, reference books, into mine and Dennis's favorite college books. All of my classical history studies books flowed effortlessly into his chronologically ordered history books.
This right here is the kind of idle stuff that makes me happy. A flawlessly ordered bookshelf full of books that I want to remember I have and have read or am planning to read. It's thrown off now with the added mixture of fantasy novels - which absolutely belong on a different bookshelf where they won't be interrupting the flow of classics to poetry. C'est la vie.
No comments:
Post a Comment